In 1946, brothers-in-law, Henry Kaye and Jack Gold came to Manhattan, where they learned the fine art of chocolate creation and the workings of the chocolate industry.
In 1949, located in a small loft space in Lower New York City, they started The Madelaine Chocolate Company.
The name is derived from Henry and Jack wanting the company to have an air of quality and sophistication. Henry in particular, loved the elegance and beauty of a popular Hollywood actress at the time — they both agreed that the name Madelaine would be very fitting.
In 1952, spurred on by their extensive knowledge of the industry, and a common belief that great tasting chocolate didn’t have to be serious or expensive, they decided to create and supply their own shapes using superior-tasting Peter’s Chocolate.